Attending a wedding and being a part of someone’s special day is always exciting. But it is especially memorable when you get to celebrate a union of love at a tropical destination. Whether it’s celebrating nuptials in exotic places like Hawaii, The Amalfi Coast, Turks and Caicos, or Mexico, you will need a dress that is breathable, flowy, and suitable for the warmer climate.
When choosing a destination wedding dress, here are some expert tips us stylists at Teri Jon recommend to our clients:
1. You will want to choose a lightweight dress to wear in a warm and humid environment.
Look for breathable fabrics like chiffon, lace, cotton, and linen.
2. Stylistically, is it a good fit for the party?
Think color. Does the color scheme work for the venue? If you are attending an outdoor beach wedding, choosing a vibrant print, a pastel midi or tea length dress will be more appropriate then a floor length black gown.
The warm setting will call for a dress with less material, but you still want to make sure the dress is appropriate and is not too revealing. While you are outdoors in a somewhat relaxed environment, you still are a guest at someone's wedding.
3. Will the dress be lightweight and easy to travel with in a suitcase or garment bag?
You want to ensure your dress will remain in perfect condition throughout the duration of the trip and not be a hassle to carry as you are traveling. We suggest stuffing the dress with lightweight tissue paper to help.
4. Is this a dress that can steam quickly in the shower of a hotel room?
Since you will have limited access to tools such as an iron or steamer, you will want to guarantee that the dress you choose can be easily prepped and styled.
**Some other helpful tips to consider!**
1. Do some research on the venue before the wedding date by looking at photos on the location's website and social media pages. This will help you distinguish what styles of dresses, shoes, etc are appropriate for the event. Accessorizing for a beach wedding, may be a little different then attending a ceremony at an European estate or in the mountains. If you're on the beach, opt for a chunky or strappy heel for walking purposes. Wearing a kitten heel or stiletto, might cause you to sink into the sand. If the wedding is at night by the water, the temperature can be breezy and you may want to bring a shawl or wrap to keep warm.
2. And lastly keep in mind that many hotels offer hair, makeup, and touch-up services for their guests! This is a great bonus to take advantage of when you are out of town and still want to look the part.
Still unsure what to wear? From floral patterns to high low silhouettes, we’ve got you covered. Below are our top recommendations that will have you as the most chic and fashionable wedding guest at the party.
If you have any questions, click here to style a complimentary consultation with our style experts. We are here to help!